Tuesday, May 19, 2009

New York New York

I'm having one of those dumb, reminisce, the-grass-is-always-greener-somewhere-else days. As you now know I have modeled in a few countries and am in Sydney at present. I haven't got anything against the Aussie city, it's just that it's missing that flair that most European and some American cities seem to have on offer. Today I am missing the charm of NYC. I don't know whether its actually charm or attitude, but man that city can even make a philistine pray.

Looking North from the Rockefeller Center

I think what appealed to me the most was the fact that I could go out any night of the week and there would be a mass selection of things to do. I mean not just three or four happenings, I'm talking 20 nutty, louse events, that you will not remember the next day. And that's just in my old hood of the LES (Lower East Side). This has it's ups and downs but it's not just any old city, that has this trait.

Most cities are variably all the same thing during the day. I like to think of them as a collective of people self indulging in their own sorry state of affairs, wondering where their next lay will come from. But at night they can take on a whole different demeanor.

Looking South from the Rockefeller Centre

NYC is a perfect example of this. During the day he is Jake from accounts at Harold and sons on west 33rd, just punching numbers through his day, but at night he is Jacqueline the transvestite burlesque star working the floor at Motor City. It's definitely the small things that count. As Mr Wolfe says "You are a character, but that doesn't mean you have character."

No comments:

Post a Comment